Florida Native Plant Landscaping.
When we look at most residential landscapes, we will notice that the nearly all the plants are ornamental exotics, which are plants that are native to other
areas, and not adapted to conditions in Florida. Exotic plants have to be fed with artificial nutrients, excessive water and protected with chemicals, all of which are expensive and harmful to our environment.
- Florida Native Plants have thrived in Florida for thousands of years, and are therefore most adapted for the region, and as a result, are very much more resistant to local fungal diseases and pests.
- Florida Native Plants save homeowners money, because they require less water, very little fertilizers and herbicides, and a minimum of other maintenance chores.
- Florida Native Plants are very diverse, and display a wide range of sizes, growth patterns, textures, and interesting contrasts.
- Florida Native Plants create wildlife habitats, because the local fauna and insects, particularly the pollinators, are already adapted to live with and benefit from them, for protection and nesting.
- Florida Native Plants bring residential landscapes to life, because they provide food for birds, reptiles, small mammals, butterflies, critters and other insects.
- Florida Native Plants are beautiful in the garden, because their flowers, seeds, fruit and leaves have showy and unique designs.
- Native Native Plants create a sense of place unique to the area in which you live.
- Florida Native ground cover plants are an alternative to lawn, and save homeowners thousands of dollars in mowing, fertilizing and watering costs.
- Florida Native Plants can recreate natural ecosystems, discouraging invasive species that can damage our environment. Native plants reduce storm water run-off pollution, from fertilizers, and air pollution from lawn mowing.
Can your yard become a beautiful Florida Native Plant Landscape?
Yes, any yard can be converted from a sterile exotic landscape to a rich and alive Florida Native Landscape. The challenge is to selct appropriate plants that are appropriate for the micro region and climate and create eco-systems that support each other, local insects, critters and bridlife and which require less maintenance.
This is where we can help. We follow the Florida Friendly Yard Guidlines as well as the LEED for HOMES Whole House Approach, which not only considers one stand-alone Green Home Improvement, but also its relationship to all the other elements that impact the Green aspects of your home.
At Florida Green Home Consultants, we provide either a phone consultation or an in-home consultation to help you to decide what’s best for you, your family, and your home. We will then introduce you to the services of our Certified Florida Native Landscaping Contractor Associates who are state licensed and insured to design, supply and install a Florida Native Plant Landscape for your home.
At Florida Green Home Consultants, we also do Micro and Drip Irrigation Consulting, Rain Water Harvesting Consulting, Home Water Efficiency Consulting and Energy Reduction Consulting. Contact us today for advice and a free estimate.